Saturday, December 15, 2007

Kim Deal Throws Down the Gauntlet


Kim Deal, lead singer of The Breeders, gives an interview with Pitchfork in which she says:
I think it's kind of ballsy to sit there and think that [people want to listen] if it wasn't special and we weren't trying to do something we would want to listen to. Why is this song actually here? Why is this song taking up two-and-a-half minutes of my life? Is it just because somebody doesn't have tape anymore and so the amount of recording space is unlimited? That's why I'm sitting here listening to this, because nothing stopped you from doing it, but there's not really a reason to do it? I don't know. If that was me, and I was listening to me, I would get mad, like, "Why are you fucking doing this?" It doesn't have to be great, but it seems like at least there should be kind of a reason. And it's hard to come up with a fucking good reason to write something, I think.

Kim Deal is onto something: The fact that we must value an act of writing that is extraordinary and makes us think and feel unique thoughts and feelings. The rapid-fire pace of digital recording may lead to inferior music.

No comments: